Peter A Turner Writer and Raconteur

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Hardest Part Of Writing A Novel

For me the hardest part of writing a novel is the editing. Before I start on a book I have the main characters and plot mapped out. Sure I'll change things as I write, but I rarely suffer from writers block. I like writing and seeing my characters come alive.

Editing is a different story! I'm not a very patient person, neither am I a very detailed one. With my current book "Da Nang Damned" I've lost count of how many times it's been edited. I even bought a software program to further check, grammar, spelling, style, etc. I also had a fellow author proofread the book. So I figured, good enough time to publish.

Well after publishing & sending the book out to a few friends/family for their comments I realized it still needed work. There were typos, misspellings, incorrect word use, etc. and strange makings that Amazon had inserted in my book.

The long & short of it is I had to go back to the original manuscript and make corrections. So the lesson learned is to edit and pay for a good professional proofreader. Also make sure when you download your manuscript to Amazon that the file is compatible with Amazon's format and carefully review your book before pressing the publish button.

No comments:

Post a Comment