Peter A Turner Writer and Raconteur

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Strong Women Part II

 As I mentioned in my last post, "Death Is Never Pretty!" has several strong woman characters. These characters evolved as the book developed. I didn't plan it this way, in fact, I never outline or develop a plot beyond some very basic ideas. Some writers use outlines, character sketches, copious notes and other tools as the foundation for writing a novel. Me I just kind of "wing it" coming up with a general idea and putting my main characters into a situation and describing how they're reacting basically is how I write.

So it came as a pleasant surprise when, after completed the first draft that I realized I had created strong women, who carry a great deal of the story forward. Without these women, "Death Is Never Pretty!" would be a very shallow book.

Maybe it's because I'm unconsciously attracted to strong-willed women. Whatever the reason they add spice to the story and allow me to look at my writing from a different angle. Will I continue to use strong women in my books? I don't know, as I stated earlier I let the story evolve as I write. I don't try to put in some hidden agenda. So if the story dictates that a strong woman is needed then I'm sure she'll show up to save the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment